Monday 15 May 2023

AND THE LOCKS KEEP COMING

Worcester Cathedral 

 3rd Week Tardebigge lock 29 to Worcester

The Birmingham and Worcester canal is 29 miles long and there are 58 locks, so we still had 28 locks to do over 13 miles. Luckily they didn’t all come in one day.

After a late start we headed for Tibberton. I am sure the Captain told me a fib as I thought we only had 7 locks to do, but it turned out there were 12 and a short tunnel (230yrds).

This canal is very rural, considering how close we are to Birmingham and Worcester, with stunning views over open countryside and wooded knolls.

We moored at Tibberton, there are 2 pubs, so of course we had to try both. Speed the Plough was definitely a locals pub, with a booming landlord and a great selections of ciders (6) and lagers (5), but not so great on the real ale front, so the Captain had to make do with Guinness. The Bridge is by the canal, and although a lot quieter, and with a small but interesting food menu, not such a great choice of beer. So only the one in there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/speedtheploughtibberton/?locale=en_GB

https://www.facebook.com/TheBridgeTibberton/?locale=en_GB

Next day and the final bit into Worcester, and another 12 locks for me to do. We stopped after the last lock at bridge 9, next to Lowesmoor Basin, as there is an Aldi within walking distance and we needed some shopping.

Our actual mooring for the Coronation weekend was above lock 4, a quiet stretch close to the city centre, but after another busy day for both of us we decided to give the pub a miss, plus it was raining, and we didn’t fancy getting wet. Very fair weather boaters are we.

Friday next day, and after a lovely lie in, and a big brunch, we set out to explore Worcester. We started at the Cathedral, a magnificent building started in 1084, it was part of a larger priory which was a victim of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540. Its the burial place of Prince Arthur, the elder brother of Henry VIII and King John. Well worth a visit.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester_Cathedral

We also watched the Peregrine falcons, and their 4 chicks, on a live feed from their nest on one of the Cathedral towers. For those of you that don’t know, many cathedrals and church’s have birds of prey nesting up in their high towers, and many have live feeds, like Derby and Lincoln, and of course Worcester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBLUqeKEtA

So after a bit of culture is was time for a pint, first The Oil Basin Brewhouse, a good pint of lager for me and an excellent porter for the Captain, only one complaint, it only has a small bar with has stools in front of it, great until you want to get served and you end up having to reach over the people sat on the seats to get your drinks and pay, so just the one in there.

https://www.facebook.com/theoilbasinbrewhouse/

Then on to a wonderful real ale pub, The Imperial Tavern, another of the Black Country Ales family. Always a great selection of real ales, with 2 darks on for the Captain and Staropramen lager for me, so a couple in there.

https://www.blackcountryales.co.uk/pubs/the-imperial-tavern

Saturday and the Coronation, I will readily admit I didn’t watch any of it, its not that I am anti royal or anything like that, I just didn’t fancy it. The Captain watched parts on his phone whilst I watched Midsummer Murders. We could hear the Cathedral bells ringing out in the pouring rain most of the day.

Late in the afternoon I spotted a youngish man walking by the boat, well I say walking he was staggering, 3 steps forward 4 back, weaving from side to side. I thought at one point he was going to collide with our boat, but he passed by heading a way from the lock. Then I realised he had turned round and was now heading for the lock, and instead of sticking to the towpath, and going down and under the bridge, he staggered to the side of the lock, which was empty. I watched with my heart in by mouth as he got closer and closer to the edge, then he staggered back, thank god, but it was not over, as he stepped right to the edge, I was convinced he was going in, but I was unable to move. Just as I came to my sense he seemed to pull himself together, left the lock and went under the bridge. I still have no idea how we would have got him out if he had fallen in. SO SCARY.

Sunday, and it was time to leave Worcester and head down on to the river Severn. There were 2 narrow locks and 2 of the big river locks to do before we got on to the river.

After the 2 narrow locks we stopped at Diglis Basin to put water in and get rid of rubbish. An old working boat was filling their tank when we pulled in, and they had rubbish to get rid of so I offered to take it whilst we waited, as I reached the bins I heard the recognisable sound of a traction engine whistle, so I had to go and investigate. I found a lovely Foden Steam Wagon called Dorset Wanderer. I love traction engines, they have been a passion of mine for over 25yrs.

https://www.steam-up.co.uk/dsf2k1/waggon/hx2197_dsf2k1.htm

When I returned to the boat, I found out we had had a change of plan, it turned out the Gloucester Lock was closed on a Tuesday, and as it was going to rain Monday the Captain had planned to stop at Tewksbury for the day and travel down to Gloucester on Tuesday. This meant not getting to Gloucester until Wednesday, which then would give us less time to get back to Coventry for our Croatian holiday. We were only going to Gloucester so we could go to the Greek on the Dock, a fantastic restaurant, but we had to give it a miss on this trip.

https://www.greekonthedocks.co.uk/

So we said goodbye to Worcester, joined the mighty river Severn, and headed for Tewksbury and the River Avon.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog again Guys good to read it very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charles, always lovely to read your comments
      Love Helen

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I always enjoy hearing how you enjoyed my blog and will answer any question if I can