Thursday 10 August 2023

A STORM IN A TEACUP.


 Nottingham to Thorne, 83 miles, 10 locks, 2 swing bridges, 2 canals and 1 river.

Well what can I say about my last blog, well the title caused a few ructions. I was accused of click baiting, CRT bashing and all sorts of other things, but oh boy, did a lot more people read it, yes and liked it, yes. So I will address some of the issues raised, the title was not meant to be click bait, it was just the way I was feeling when I sat down and wrote the blog. CRT bashing, I understand that CRT has a hard job to do, but I do question what it has been doing to look after the canal infrastructure for the last 10yrs since it was formed. There have been so many problems this year, around the network, and this part of our journey just bought it all home to me. The guys on the ground do a great job, are always helpful, and if they can will sort problems out quickly. Anyway I have had much fun reading the comments on Facebook, and just hope that people who discovered my blog through this one title read more.

Another reason for the title of the blog is the terrible weather we are having. We are fair weather boaters, but I don’t think we have had a day when it hasn’t rained at some point, and I am fed up of getting wet and having to wear a coat. I have managed to wear my shorts but at times have been very tempted to put my jeans on, unheard of during the summer months. And much to the Captains horror I have suggested putting a fire in to combat the dampness. It has also put us behind time wise, we have decided not to go to Ripon or York as the Ouse has a terrible habit of flooding, and we don’t want to get stuck. So instead we are looking at maybe going to Goole, a place we haven’t visited, Sheffield, Doncaster, Lincoln and maybe Boston.

Back to our journey. We spent the weekend in Nottingham. On Friday Adam and Julie came, and we met our Philipino in laws for the first time, Julie’s Mum Linda and her sister Jennifer.



Saturday was a quiet a day but a special day, as I got my freezer. YIPPEE A very very nice gentleman from Currys wheeled it on his sack barrow to the boat and took the packaging away too. So I gave him some of the cake I had just baked. We headed to the pub to celebrate, the Trip of course.

https://www.greeneking.co.uk/pubs/nottinghamshire/ye-olde-trip-to-jerusalem

Sunday and time to meet up with Jess and Stuart, they were coming to the boat for Sunday lunch. They arrived with the wonderful news that I am going to become a Grandma again in February, I still told them I am to young, but I am so happy. They asked me not to put it on social media, but it was Ok to share the news on here. They have decided to go old school and not find out what they are having, so looking forward to the surprise when it arrives. We had a lovely afternoon with them. So happy days.

We resumed our journey the next day, and head down the Beeston and Nottingham canal to its junction with the River Trent. At the lock here there is water and we decided to fill up our tank before locking down on to the river. As we came into moor the Captain put us into reverse, there was a big clunk and the engine stopped dead. This could only mean something serious round the prop. A very helpful gentleman off a moored boat came and helped us pull into the side. He had a lovely Weimaraner dog called Doris and was very nice. It turned out to be a huge piece of carpet, which came off without to much fuss surprisingly. After watering up we headed down the lock and onto the river and headed for Gunthorpe.

At the first river lock, Holme lock, I was reminded how huge these locks are, and even when locking down I am required to hold the boat steady at the front, using a runner set into the side of the lock and our front rope. Luckily most of these locks are manned.


We moored easily on the pontoons at Gunthorpe but didn’t head to the pub, The Unicorn, as it had been a busy few days.

https://www.unicornhotelpub.co.uk/

On to Newark next day, and after 2 manned locks my luck gave out, as Newark town lock was unmanned. So off I got with my trusty BW key and tried to find the control panel. It was very elusive, but eventually I found it and we locked down without any problem. We found good moorings on the Kiln visitor pontoons. I was overjoyed to see a lovely crop of blackberries just waiting to be picked, and now we have a freezer, (which we seem to have plenty of power to run) I can pick them to my hearts content.

We headed to the pub, as we do, firstly the Prince Rupert, a favourite of ours, but there was disappointment for the Captain, no dark ales so out we came, then onto the Flying Circus, and repeat. Just Beer was our last hope, and bingo a great pint of Chocolate Old Peculiar for the Captain, this is a collaboration between Tiny Rebel and Theakstons, and very quaffable.

https://www.redcatpubcompany.com/pubs/nottinghamshire/theprincerupert 

https://www.flyingcircuspub.co.uk/

https://www.justbeermicropub.biz/

https://www.theakstons.co.uk/pages/cwtch-gold-a-theakston-and-tiny-rebel-collaboration

Next day after a late start we headed to Cromwell lock, were next day we would join the tidal Trent and head for Torksey, then on to Keadby, before joining the Stainforth and Keadby canal to Thorne.

We were joined in the lock next day by 2 medium sized yogurt pots, Orchid and Dutch Gem, who soon overtook us on the fast moving river. We reached Torksey in good time and headed to the pub, The White Swan, they seemed to be in the midst of decorating, but we enjoyed a couple of good pints, John Smiths for the Captain and Kronenberg for me.

https://www.facebook.com/whiteswantorkseylock/

It was a long day next day with 28 miles to do. The flow of the river was against us to start, but once the tide changed we were speeding along. It took us 5hrs. Getting into a lock on a fast flowing river is not easy, but the Captain did an excellent job and the Lock Keeper complimented him on his steering.


Keadby Lock

At Keadby is a most unusual railway bridge, called the Vazon bridge. It simply slides out of the way, you have to toot your horn to attract the operators attention and then off you go.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sheffield/sy9.htm

Robbie Cummings in his programme Narrowboat Diaries filmed the bridge sliding open by drone. If you fast forward the link to 26mins you will be able see how it works for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rWmNDqNg8

After a night in the MONW and more rain we headed off for Thorne, we are back in the land of the movable bridges, and I had 3 swing and 1 lift bridge to do. I like the ones that are completely electric best, I just have to push a button and wait, but the first few were manual so a bit of a work out for me. At one you have to wait for the railway signalman to close the gates at the level crossing before operating it. Much fun and games.

At Thorne we moored opposite the boat sales yard, these are good moorings and near to the Canal Tavern, so that’s where we headed. Although no darks on for the Captain he made do with a Carling, and we had an enjoyable time. The menu looked very interesting and we were assured by the crew from Orchid it was excellent.

http://www.canaltavernthorne.co.uk/

We spent the next day in Thorne, and after shopping decided to try a couple of the other pubs in the town, The Red Bear, very much a loud locals pub, and the Windmill, much quieter with a selection of real ales, but nothing dark and the Captain made do with a palatable bitter.

https://www.craftunionpubs.com/red-bear-thorne

https://whatpub.com/pubs/DON/8466/windmill-thorne

We ended up at the Canal Tavern, and it was heaving considering it was a Monday teatime. The food looked and smelt amazing. Thinking about giving it a go on the return journey.

Birdlife has been plentiful on this part of the journey, we have spotted amongst the usual suspects, Oyster Catchers, Lapwings and Egyptian geese.


Oyster Catcher

That’s all for now folks.

2 comments:

  1. Another great read. Xx love col and mags. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog, Helen. And I think you've definitively proven that fitted carpet is good, but not on a prop 😉 - Kara

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I always enjoy hearing how you enjoyed my blog and will answer any question if I can